Leaking Tap Brisbane is usually a faulty washer
The main reason for a leaking tap Brisbane is typically the result of a worn or damaged washer. Often, it is very easy to fix. If you want to save yourself some money, then read the article below instead of calling out a plumber Brisbane. Plumbers will charge you more to attend your house on the weekend or after hours so be sure to read this article. Below is a step-by-step guide to replace your washer.
Establish the type and size of the washer of your leaking tap Brisbane
To replace a washer of your leaking tap Brisbane, you need to know what size the washer is. As a rule of thumb:
- Taps which turn on and off with a quarter-turn, have a ceramic disk inside a replaceable cartridge.
- Taps which need to be turned several times have rubber sealing washers. It is very common that basin and bath taps have different sizes.
- Mixer type taps normally have smaller washers.
When you go to the hardware store, take your old washer to the hardware store, or buy a packet with several different sized washers. Washers are not expensive.
The tools required to replace the washer are a spanner, screwdriver, some wire wool, a cloth, and a new washer.
How to replace the washer of your leaking tap Brisbane
- Turn off the main water supply to the leaking tap Brisbane. There may be a valve which you can turn off underneath the sink or basin of the leaking tap Brisbane.
- If this is not the case, then you will have to turn off the water supply valve to the entire house. This is usually located on your property boundary nearest the nature strip.
- Turn the tap on fully to check that the water supply is switched off. There should be a small drip or trickle of water when this is done.
- Take off the faulty tap. Usually, the tap can be pulled out if you remove the hot and cold indicator disk and then remove the small screw underneath it.
- You should now be able to see the stem of the tap, with a brass nut holding it in place. Unscrew the nut with a spanner and lift out the tap stem. The washer is on the bottom of the piece. Remove the washer and clean off any corrosion or scale using the wire wool. Put on a new washer of the same size. You should be able to just push it on, or, it may be held on with a small nut.
- Put the tap back together, turn the water supply back on, and you have fixed the leak and saved yourself money!
Not all tap washers are easy to replace. Some are more complicated and use different types of systems and washers. Another problem is that over time the bolts and screws corrode and are difficult to remove. Do not attempt to apply force in trying to remove any part of the leaking tap. This could cause more damage to the taps and pipes or even damage the basin, bath or sink. If you are unsure it is preferable to call a plumber Brisbane who will address the problem with the correct tools and knowledge and could end up costing you less than if you were to damage any parts of your leaking tap Brisbane.
If you have an issue with a blocked drain brisbane or hot water system brisbane, then you need a 24 hour plumber brisbane or an emergency plumber brisbane to service you. You might also reach out to a gas plumber brisbane to help you. Its important that you have a plumber brisbane or a brisbane Plumber you can trust. A drain camera Brisbane plumber can also be important to you. If you suspect carbon monoxide is present, you will also need Carbon Monoxide Testing Brisbane or plumbing Brisbane.
Plumber Fortitude Valley, Plumber Albion, Plumber Alderley, Plumber Annerley, Plumber Ascot, Plumber Ashgrove, Plumber Aspley, Plumber Auchenflower, Plumber Balmoral, Plumber Banks Creek, Plumber Anstead, Plumber Bald Hills, Plumber Banyo, Plumber Bardon, Plumber Belmont, Plumber Boondall, Plumber Bowen Hills, Plumber Bracken Ridge, Plumber Bridgeman Downs, Plumber Brighton, Plumber Brisbane Airport, Plumber Brisbane City, Plumber Brookfield, Plumber Bulimba, Plumber Carina, Plumber Carseldine,Plumber Chandler, Plumber Chapel Hill, Plumber Chelmer, Plumber Chermside, Plumber Chermside West, Plumber Clayfield, Plumber Coorparoo, Plumber Corinda, Plumber Deagon, Plumber Dutton Park, Plumber Enoggera, Plumber Everton Park, , Plumber East Brisbane, Plumber Ferny Grove, Plumber Fitzgibbon, Plumber Geebung, Plumber Gordon Park, Plumber Graceville, Plumber Grange, Plumber Greenslopes, Plumber Gumdale, Plumber Hamilton, Plumber Hawthorne, Plumber Heathwood, Plumber Hemmant, Plumber Hendra, Plumber Herston, Plumber Highgate Hill, Plumber Holland Park, Plumber Holland Park West, Plumber Inala, Plumber Indooroopilly, Plumber Jamboree Heights, Plumber Jindale, Plumber Kangaroo Point, Plumber Karana Downs, Plumber Karawatha, Plumber Kedron, Plumber Kelvin Grove, Plumber Acacia Ridge, Plumber Algester, Plumber Archerfield, Plumber Burbank, Plumber Calamvale, Plumber Camp Hill, Plumber Cooper Plains, Plumber Cannon Hill, Plumber Carina Heights, Plumber Carindale, Plumber Doolandella, Plumber Drewvale, Plumber Durack, Plumber Eight Mile Plains, Plumber Ellen Grove, Plumber Fairfield, Plumber Forest Lake, Plumber Gaythorne, Plumber Kenmore, Plumber Kuraby, Plumber Larapinta, Plumber Lutwyche, Plumber Lytton, Plumber Logan City, Plumber Macgregor, Plumber Mackenzie, Plumber Manly, Plumber Mansfield, Plumber Middle Park, Plumber Milton, Plumber Moggill, Plumber Moorooka, Plumber Morningside, Plumber Mount Gravatt, Plumber Mt Ommaney, Plumber Murarrie, Plumber Nathan, Plumber New Farm, Plumber Newmarket, Plumber Newstead, Plumber Norman Park, Plumber Northgate, Plumber Nudgee, Plumber Nundah, Plumber Oxley, Plumber Paddington, Plumber Pallara, Plumber Parkinson, Plumber Ransome, Plumber Redhill, Plumber Richlands, Plumber Riverhills, Plumber Robertson, Plumber Rochedale